Email us now

Simple practices to keep your home electricity supply safe

Created: 13/03/2014

It's fair to say that electricity is no longer considered to be a luxury; it's something each and every one of us relies upon to be working whenever we need it. With household appliances such as the fridge freezer and oven reliant on electricity, a power outage can cause no end of trouble should it arise. Here are a few tell-tale signs to spot before you have to call on London handyman services to rectify some serious electrical problems.

The first thing to keep an eye on is the fuse board, a rectangular box close to the ceiling by your door which serves as a mini control station for the power in your home. This should be the first place to look if you have suffered a power cut, with the individual breakers telling you where the power has gone out. If you turn the breaker back on and the power is still vacant, there's a good chance something could be causing the outage, whether that is a faulty appliance or socket.

If you discover faulty switches or lights, it could point to a major problem with the wiring in your home. While the light bulbs may certainly flicker during bouts of turbulent weather, widespread lighting issues could be down to anything from incorrect wattages to serious wiring issues. In the case of the latter, it is always better to leave the job to a professional, such as one of the electricians in Sunridge Park or elsewhere in the South London area. Choosing to carry out the task without the relevant expertise could result in serious injury.

While all homes will have the benefit of sockets, without an extension lead, there will only be enough space for two devices. Although extension leads are fine, overloading them with multiple plugs and sockets could cause the devices to overheat, potentially leading to a fire and also serious problems to your home's electricity supply. To avoid this, you should never plug an extension lead or plug into another extension lead. If you do use an extension lead regularly, be sure to turn the plug off when you have finished with it or are leaving the home.

 

Image Credit: StateFarm (Flickr.com)



Back to News